Blog Archive

0

IndyCar to remain “agile and flexible” on 2021 calendar – IndyCar

Senior IndyCar officials Mark Miles says the series is learning to make decisions more quickly due to the coronavirus pandemic, and will need to remain “agile and flexible” in future.

Several IndyCar rounds have been either cancelled or postponed due to spikes in COVID-19 cases, or due to travel restrictions.

This weekend’s Indianapolis 500 has been delayed from its traditional Memorial Day weekend date in May, while the championship will follow its Gateway double-header at the end of the month with an second visit to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course in October for another double-header.

It is due to conclude with a street race in St. Petersburg, which typically hosts the season-opener, while a revised date in September for the postponed Mid-Ohio double-header – that was scheduled to run earlier this month – is also on the cards.

Miles, CEO of Penske Entertainment Corp said that a willingness to

Read More
0

Portland IndyCar race contract renewed until 2023

The IndyCar Series will continue to hold races at Portland until 2023, despite the cancellation of this year’s race due to COVID-19, after event promoters signed a three-year contract extension.

The 1.96 mile Portland International Raceway was a fixture on the IndyCar calendar between 1984 and 2007, the final year of Champ Car before its merger with the IRL, and returned to the calendar after an 11-year hiatus in 2018.

Its return proved highly popular, so despite the event’s cancelation this year due to Oregon’s current restrictions on public gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic, Green Savoree Racing Promotions secured a new deal with the City of Portland.

The GSRP, whose CEO and chairman Kim Green formerly owned the team now known as Andretti Autosport, also organises IndyCar races on the streets of St. Petersburg and Toronto, and at Mid-Ohio.

He said: “We’re disappointed to not be able to bring IndyCar

Read More
0

Portland IndyCar race contract renewed until 2023 – IndyCar

The IndyCar Series will continue to hold races at Portland until 2023, despite the cancellation of this year’s race due to COVID-19, after event promoters signed a three-year contract extension.

The 1.96 mile Portland International Raceway was a fixture on the IndyCar calendar between 1984 and 2007, the final year of Champ Car before its merger with the IRL, and returned to the calendar after an 11-year hiatus in 2018.

Its return proved highly popular, so despite the event’s cancelation this year due to Oregon’s current restrictions on public gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic, Green Savoree Racing Promotions secured a new deal with the City of Portland.

The GSRP, whose CEO and chairman Kim Green formerly owned the team now known as Andretti Autosport, also organises IndyCar races on the streets of St. Petersburg and Toronto, and at Mid-Ohio.

He said: “We’re disappointed to not be able to bring IndyCar

Read More
0

IndyCar management pleased to have Alonso in Indy 500 – IndyCar

IndyCar management trio Mark Miles, Jay Frye and Doug Boles are “glad” to have Fernando Alonso returning for a third attempt at winning the Indianapolis 500.

Driving the Arrow McLaren SP-Chevrolet, Fernando Alonso has qualified 26th, but is in good company towards the back of the field and will be surrounded by former Indy 500 winners and IndyCar champions.

Encouragingly, before his shunt last Thursday, he had shown top-10 pace in race trim and on race turbo boost (1.3-bar), and the team is hopeful to get his car back to speed by Carb Day.

Speaking to the media today, IMS president Boles, Penske Entertainment CEO Miles and IndyCar president Frye said that having Alonso on the Indy 500 grid for a second time – having failed to qualify in 2019 – was a huge boost for all involved.

Said Frye: “He’s obviously a great racecar driver. We’ve got to know

Read More
0

Alexander Rossi becomes latest victim of elaborate IndyCar prank

missing toilet seats, sawed-off bike frames and internationally shipped shoes.” data-reactid=”14″NTT IndyCar Series drivers are well known for being pranksters, and Andretti Autosport has a long history of some high-profile jokes that have included missing toilet seats, sawed-off bike frames and internationally shipped shoes.

But few have been quite as elaborate as the trick played Wednesday morning on Andretti’s Alexander Rossi at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The 2016 Indy 500 winner discovered the wheels missing from the golf kart outside his motorhome and immediately vowed revenge.

could be endless given the frequency of pranks in the IndyCar paddock.” data-reactid=”23″As

Read More
0

Jimmie Johnson says his post-NASCAR ‘dream’ is to run 12 or 13 IndyCar races next year

Jimmie Johnson has no intention of slowing down after retiring from racing full-time in the NASCAR Cup Series at the end of the 2020 season. The seven-time NASCAR champ is looking at other racing options for his future, including in the IndyCar Series.



Jimmie Johnson wearing a hat and sunglasses


© Provided by For The Win


While on Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s weekly podcast, 44-year-old Johnson said he’s “pretty open” about what other styles of racing he could try, and said he’d “be really happy with” up to a 15-race schedule for the next year or two. That number includes wanting to run at least a dozen IndyCar races, in addition to marquee sports car and off-road truck events.

With his experience and fame, Johnson said he’s taking a “Why not try it?” approach to his future. And he said following his IndyCar test run at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on July 28, he’s been having serious conversations about

Read More
0

Alonso needs “good car in traffic” with lowly Indy 500 starting place – IndyCar

Fernando Alonso says he needs “a good car in traffic” as he starts 26th on the 33-car grid for the 104th running of the Indianapolis 500.

With the exception of Ed Carpenter Racing’s impressive rookie Rinus VeeKay, the fastest dozen runners in qualifying trim and with the spec BorgWarner turbos turned up to 1.5-bar boost were all Honda powered.

Alonso, driving for the Arrow McLaren SP team, will begin from the ninth row of the grid after the Chevrolet-powered teams struggled in qualifying.

Although looking downbeat, he told NBC: “I feel good. Obviously we weren’t competitive enough for the top nine, so we wanted a solid run in with no lifts, no drama, and put the car in the show.

“We weren’t as quick as we wanted but we’ll work on the car. If we are at the back, we need a good car in traffic.”

“I think we are

Read More
0

How a World Cup winner’s Indycar dream went awry



How a World Cup winner's Indycar dream went awry


© LAT Images
How a World Cup winner’s Indycar dream went awry

Andretti Autosport is renowned as one of the top squads in IndyCar, but a two-race outing for the team in 2010 didn’t allow one of Britain’s most underrated talents to shine, as he tells JAMES NEWBOLD

Everything was going right for Adam Carroll in June 2009. The Northern Irishman had wrapped up the A1GP ‘World Cup of Motorsport’ title for Team Ireland and five years after a testing opportunity with BAR-Honda, a long-awaited Formula 1 shot looked a distinct possibility for 2010 – if Lola’s entry was approved. Carroll even got to appear on a chat show with Henry Winkler, aka The Fonz.

That Lola didn’t make the cut for 2010 didn’t seem to matter all too much though, because he had attracted the attention of A1 Team USA seat-holder Michael Andretti, and an IndyCar debut in 2010

Read More
0

Indianapolis 500 to be held without fans for 104th edition in 2020 – IndyCar

The Indianapolis 500 will be held behind closed doors for the first time in its 104-year history in 2020 due to the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in Indiana.

IndyCar and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway were initially hoping the race could run at 50 percent crowd capacity, which was further reduced to 25 percent last month.

However, it was announced today that the 23 August event, rescheduled from its traditional Memorial Day Weekend date on 24 May, would not be open to the public.

The IMS statement said the decision to run the event without fans had been made “following careful consideration and extensive consultation with state and city leadership”.

“As dedicated as we were to running the race this year with 25 percent attendance at our large outdoor facility, even with meaningful and careful precautions implemented by the city and state, the COVID-19 trends in Marion County and

Read More
0

Milk and Cookies: IndyCar drivers talk first cars and one said he’d be a ‘dirtbag’ if he wasn’t racing

In February, before the days of social-distancing and masks, Dave Calabro talked with IndyCar drivers on a series of topics.

AUSTIN, Texas — In February, before the days of social-distancing and masks, Dave Calabro packed up his milk jugs and cookies to head to Texas for some quality time with the IndyCar drivers. 

First car

Dave Calabro: What was the first car you drove on a regular basis when you got your license?

2018 Indy 500 winner Will Power: Was a VL Comodore.

Dave: Was that a cool car?

Power: It was a Chevy. It was a cool car for a young guy.

Dave: Did you pick up chicks in your new cool car?

Power: That’s the sort of thing you do with that car.

Power: You would pick up chicks.

2008 Indy 500 winner Scott Dixon: I had a Honda Prelude. It was red…had one light. It had the

Read More