Public transportation transforms communities and the lives of the people living in them by spurring economic development, promoting sustainable lifestyles and providing a higher quality of life. Every segment of American society—-individuals, families, communities, and businesses—benefits from public transportation.
Public Transportation Consists of a Variety of Modes
- Light rail
- Commuter trains
- Streetcars and trolleys
- Cable cars
- Van pool services
- Ferries and water taxis
- Paratransit services for Senior citizens and people with disabilities
- Monorails and tramways
- In 2018, Americans took 9.9 billion trips on public transportation.
- 34 million times each weekday, people board public transportation.
- Since 1997, public transportation ridership has increased by 21%—a growth rate higher than the 19% increase in U.S. population.
- Public transportation is a $71 billion industry that employs more than 430,000 people.
- Approximately 6,800 organizations provide public transportation in the United States.
- 45% of Americans have no access to public transportation.